Sunday, October 19, 2008

Can graffiti be art?



Like many other people I am not happy about most of the graffiti that is painted everywhere in larger cities. However, once in a while, it's possible to come across a piece of graffiti that's truly a piece of art.

An example of this, is a 1999 piece of graffiti in Copenhagen's Sydhavn, called "Evolution", which I saw for the first time today. I came across a reference to it a couple of days ago, and decided to go out and take a look at it.

I should probably add, that this is a completely legal piece of graffiti, and that there is talk about listing it, so it can be saved for future generations. I doubt it will happen though, and it's very likely the wall it's on will be torn down sometime in the next couple of years.



It's 170m long, and illustration evolution, starting with the big bang.

Due to the length of the piece, I took 31 pictures of it, to get the full piece. They can be found at my flickr account here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home